- This event has passed.
Boston: Free Assange Rally Calling on AG Merrick Garland to #DropTheCharges
January 15 @ 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm EST
Boston Area Assange Defense continues to standout for Julian Assange, founder of the news outlet WikiLeaks. And in doing so, we also stand up for the people’s right to know.
We standout for Assange because he is silenced and suffering in solitary confinement and we cannot allow our government and its media to run away with its false narrative on Assange as the US positions itself to extradite this truthteller.
When you dig just under the surface, you see the endless reasons that millions globally are supporting this movement to #FreeAssange.
The #WhyAssangeMatters campaign highlights details that reveal who Assange is and the important information he shared with the world. We continue to standout for Julian Assange because the #AssangeCase matters.
- #WhyAssangeMatters: Because he has exposed lies and manipulations of the powerful that caused wars, poverty and suffering all over the world. He has sacrificed years of his life trying to bring the light of truth into this world. Journalism is not a crime.
- #WhyAssangeMatters: In 2004 in a case of mistaken identity Khaled El Masri was kidnapped, tortured & rendered to the CIA without any due process to be further detained & tortured. Wikileaks publications were cited as evidence in court to prove his story.
- #WhyAssangeMatters: #Guantánamo Nazir Bin Lep who’s been in CIA custody since 2003 “was kept naked & shackled to the ceiling in a painful standing position”…”had to defecate & urinate on [himself] & remain standing in [his] own bodily fluids”. Read about his recent trial in this twitter thread.
- #WhyAssangeMatters: “Many people held at Guantánamo Bay had not even been detained in Afghanistan, but in Pakistan, & had been turned over… because the U.S. was offering substantial bounties exclusively for Muslim men.” Clive Stafford Smith, Guantanamo detainees’ attorney.
- #WhyAssangeMatters: Julian Assange and WikiLeaks have shown us the crimes being committed worldwide by the elites and corrupt. These include murder, torture, human rights abuses & environmental pollution – we need to know, so these things can be stopped.
- #WhyAssangeMatters: Assange is loved & admired because he restored our faith in people. He brought together exceptional people; not for grubby money-making but for truth, open technology, accountability, honest government, humanity, peace & solidarity.
- #WhyAssangeMatters: “When WikiLeaks came along in 2010…it was a huge democratic event. It was an example of someone using journalism to try … to address injustice. It was very powerful. And it made us feel powerful.” –Clare Daly, EU Parliamentarian
- “The #AssangeCase is very typical of what happens when the State becomes scared of its position – its dissidents become enemies of the State.” Oliver Stone quote on the Joe Rogan show.
Boston Area Assange Defense stands up for Julian Assange because if the US is successful in extraditing him to a CIA secret prison to be interrogated and tortured and then face 175 years in a supermax prison, all of our freedoms will be jeopardized or lost. Our government will continue to treat “its dissidents like enemies of the state.”
Please stand with us at Fresh Pond Mall Saturday, January 15th, 2-3:30pm.
Contact Susan McLucas at 617-501-9125 or Paula Iasella at AssangeBoston@gmail.com