Just days before Julian Assange returns to court in London as the United States government appeals his extradition decision before the UK’s High Court, supporters are calling for Assange’s freedom at rallies and vigils across the United States and around the world.
What’s Next for Julian Assange?
Will revelations of the CIA plots to kidnap or kill Assange and of the key FBI prosecution witness admitting he lied have an impact on the October 27-28 UK extradition hearings? Julian’s life and the future of a free press rest on this case.
Julian’s brother Gabriel Shipton and editor at The Grayzone Max Blumenthal remotely join attorneys Margaret Kunstler and Deborah Hrbek for discussion with WBAI radio host and moderator Mimi Rosenberg.
Repressing Free Speech: From Hip Hop to Julian Assange
The LA Assange Defense group has put together a fantastic program hosted by author and USC Law Professor Jody Armour, with rappers drawing connections between threats to their own free speech and Assange’s journalism, weaving together new performances, interviews with whistleblowers, and a discussion about freedom of expression.
Rally under Oakland’s Grand Lake Theatre marquee!
- Nozomi Hayase, Author, “WikiLeaks, the Global Fourth Estate: History is Happening”
- Dennis Bernstein, Host, KPFA’s Flashpoints (Via taped message)
- Cynthia Papermaster, CodePink/Women for Peace
- Rick Sterling, Task Forces on the Americas; Syria Solidarity Movement
- Marsha Feinland, Bay Area Peace and Freedom Party
- Francis Collins
- Ustade Kaderi, Haiti Action Committee
- Nic deLaRiva, ANSWER Coalition
- Gloria La Riva, First VP, Pacific Media Workers Guild
- John Holmes, member, Pacific Media Workers Guild, Bay Area Committee four Julian Assange
- Anthony Fest, KPFA, reading Mickey Huff Project Censored and Media Freedom Alliance statement
- Shahid Buttar, activist/organizer
- James McFadden, Research physicist, UC Berkeley. Green Party
- Judy Greenspan, International Action Center
- Roger Harris, U.S. Peace Council; Alex Saab Defense Committee
- Gerald Smith, Labor Action Commtitee to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
- Jeff Mackler, AssangeDefense.org; United National Antiwar Coalition
- Andrew Kodama, Exec. Dir. Mt. Diablo Peace & Justice Center
Taped greetings from…
- Alice Walker, Pulitzer Prize novelist
- Daniel Ellsberg, Pentagon Papers whistleblower
- Mumia Abu-Jamal, investigative journalist/political prisoner
- Noam Chomsky, author & historian
Denver rally and Congressional action
Colorado supporters called their representatives to ask them to protect the First Amendment and call on Attorney General Merrick Garland to drop the charges against Assange.
Milwaukee rally and music performance
George Martin compares Darnella Frazier and Julian Assange
Full video: October 22 rally
Guitarist Chris Borg performed and activist Ann Batiza spoke out in defense of Julian Assange and a free press in Milwaukee, WI.
Stand for Peace: October 23
War on Terror Film Festival
Veteran journalist and Associate Editor of The Electronic Intifada, Nora Barrows-Friedman, hosts a discussion with director of Fahrenheit 9/11, Michael Moore, along with co-director of The War You Don’t See, John Pilger, public intellectual Noam Chomsky, and attorney and partner of Julian Assange, Stella Moris.
Stand Ups for Assange NYC
Part 2 of the Stand-Ups for Assange featuring Lee Camp, Randy Credico, and Katie Halper!
Special remarks from Margaret Kimberley and Margaret Kunstler!
Roger Waters and Cornel West
ACLU Capital U. Law panel on Julian Assange
- Gabriel Shipton – Brother of Julian Assange
- Juan Passarelli – Journalist & Film Maker of “The War on Journalism”
- Stephen Rohde – Former Chair of ACLU So. Cal. & Attorney with 50 years experience in Constitutional/Civil Rights Law
- Misty Winston – Assange Activist & Host of “Action 4 Assange”
- Chris Licameli – Capital Law ACLU Evening Rep. & Founder of Unified People’s Coalition